Medlars are somewhat rough fruits that we can take in a thousand ways and that add variety to our diet
The loquat are formed by water, sugars and outstanding fiber content as pectins. In addition, in terms of micronutrients, they contain beta-carotene, magnesium and calcium. And they have aromatic compounds and tannins that give them the particular astringency that characterizes them.
Sweet loquats without much sugar
First of all, we must remember that the sugar contained in fruits is not the one whose consumption the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends reducing and limiting. The sugar in fruits is found in them naturally and we ingest it together with the rest of the components of the fruit, including fiber , which will slow down its absorption, except when what we do is make juices or other derivatives of the fruit, in which we lose the fiber or part of it.
How to take them
The persimmons are really very versatile fruits because besides they can be consumed fresh, as a dessert or between meals, is also often used to make desserts, pastries both part of biscuits, cakes and tarts, and compotes and jams. On the other hand, they are also used in the kitchen to accompany meats, fish, complementing salads, or even mixed with rice or other cereals. For all this, sometimes we are going to consume them raw and other times cooked.
There are different varieties of medlars that differ above all in their size and coloration. The most common varieties are similar in size to a chicken egg, between rounded and pear-shaped, and with orange, somewhat yellowish pulp. Thus, for example, the varieties “algerie” or “tanaka”. Other types of specimens, such as the “golden nuget”, are round, larger and dark orange in color with brown spots. Even bigger are the loquats of the “stuffed” variety, of a more yellowish color, which are fleshy and juicy but somewhat more insipid.
WITH DENOMINATION OF ORIGIN
There are medlars with designation of origin. They are the “Nísperos de Callosa d´En Sarriá”. The production area covered by the Denomination of Origin is located in the northeast part of the province of Alicante. The axis is located in Callosa d´En Sarriá, extending to various locations in the Marina Baixa.
Who are medlars suitable and who are not?
They are recommended for:
- Weight loss diets: it is well known that when we seek to lose weight we must reduce the caloric intake of the diet. Vegetables and fruits will help us in that and precisely loquats are the fruits that provide the least calories.
- Children: its sweetness is usually liked, although having this astringent point may in some cases cause rejection at first. When cooked, this astringency decreases. They are an attractive and fun food to offer as a snack or dessert and give variety to the diet of the little ones.
- Constipation: the fiber content of medlars will help improve intestinal transit and therefore represent a good option in people who have a tendency to constipation.
They are not suitable in:
- Potassium-limited diets: medlars, like most fruits, contain not inconsiderable amounts of potassium, which is why they will not be suitable in potassium-restricted diets, as in cases of kidney disease.
Buying and conservation advice for medlars
When buying medlars, we must always choose specimens that are whole, healthy, not beaten, without soft or brown areas. We will prefer units with uniform skin color. We must bear in mind that green specimens are indigestible, so it is important to choose them with good color.
To preserve them, it is enough to protect them from direct light and from impacts and humidity. We can keep them in a cool area of the kitchen. Another possibility is to keep them in the refrigerator, but in the least cold area.
The medlars, when peeled, impregnate our hands with the juice they give off and this has the characteristic of staining or darkening the skin with which it comes into contact. When we peel a few units, this effect may go unnoticed, but if we are going to have to peel many, it is advisable to use gloves to avoid staining the fingers.
The medlar recipe
Baked turkey in papillote with medlars and tomatoes
- Olive oil
Nothing easier than this recipe, for which we only need the cut turkey pieces, clean the tomatoes and chop them, peel the medlars, chop them and place everything on a baking paper that gives us the possibility of wrapping it creating a bag to make in papillote. Before closing, sprinkle the oregano, sprinkle with a splash of oil, and bake. We could also include other vegetables such as zucchini, chives or leeks. The cooking time can be very variable depending on the size of the turkey piece, it can be about 20 minutes introducing the already hot package.
On the other hand, we can complement the recipe with a cereal, such as brown rice or basmati, pasta or quinoa, etc., and in this way we would have a complete meal, yes, taking a good amount of vegetables, not a mere accompaniment.
What you should know…
- Season: the best months for its consumption are April, May and June.
- Benefits: they are rich in fiber, vitamins like beta-carotene and minerals like potassium.
- Ideal for: children, people who suffer from constipation, on weight loss diets …